Button Battery Ingestion Attorneys
in San Diego, CA

, Button Battery Ingestion / Swallow

Button Battery Ingestion Attorneys – San Diego, CA

Button batteries are tiny lithium ion batteries used to power electronic toys, hearing aids, calculators, watches, digital thermometers and many other devices children find irresistible to explore. Although the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission regulates how devices are supposed to secure button batteries so children cannot access them, accidents are still occurring that involve children swallowing unsecured button batteries.

Ingesting a button battery can cause a child to become seriously ill. Fortunately, parents may be able to sue the manufacturer of the defective product and obtain compensation for their child’s medical bills and pain and suffering. If your child required emergency medical treatment due to swallowing a button battery, contact our law firm to speak to a button battery ingestion attorney in San Diego today. Call Buche & Associates today at 858-459-9111.

Signs of Button Battery Ingestion

Symptoms of button battery ingestion may not develop for several hours after a child has swallowed the battery. The electric current created by exposing button batteries to esophageal tissues does not happen immediately. If you suspect your child may have swallowed a button battery and the child starts suffering from symptoms such as vomiting, fever, stomach pain, hoarse voice, diarrhea, wheezing and difficulty swallowing and breathing, call 911 or take your child to the nearest emergency medical center immediately.

How are Ingested Button Batteries Located and Removed?

Doctors will order x-rays taken of the child’s abdomen, esophagus and neck. They will also check the child’s nasal cavity and ear canals to determine if the child inserted a button battery in either areas. Endoscopic removal is indicated when button batteries are lodged in the esophagus. When button batteries have been completely swallowed and are located in the stomach or intestines, surgery may be performed depending on the child’s condition.

Complications of ingesting a button battery include:

  • Esophageal scarring
  • Laryngeal nerve damage
  • Aspiration pneumonia
  • Esophageal stenosis (abnormal narrowing)
  • Tracheal stenosis

 

Another complication is called spondylodiscitis, an infection of vertebral discs that typically develops following removal of a button battery via endoscopy. Signs of spondylodiscitis include pain while walking, severe back/neck pain, fever and paralysis affecting the arms and/or legs. Treatment involves extensive courses of antibiotics and possible immobilization of the vertebrae. When conservative treatment fails to eliminate the infection in a timely manner, surgery may be necessary to correct defects in the spine caused by spondylodiscitis.

Reduce the Risk of Your Child Ingesting a Button Battery

  • Check all devices using button batteries to ensure the battery is secured and cannot be accessed without a screwdriver or other opening device. Children discovering loose screws or broken button battery compartments are the most common way they get hold of button batteries and swallow them.
  • Dispose of used button batteries properly. Wrap them in paper towel and throw them away. Never leave button batteries out of their package where children or pets can reach them.
  • Never tape or glue a button battery compartment shut. Even super glue may not adequately secure a button battery compartment. Battery buttons can fall out of taped compartments and fall to the floor where curious toddlers see them and think they are candy.

How a San Diego Button Battery Ingestion Attorney Can Help You Obtain Compensation

If your child suffered serious injuries due to ingesting a button battery that was not properly secured within a product, you may have a case against the maker of the product. Our button battery ingestion attorneys have in-depth knowledge and experience regarding litigation of button battery ingestion lawsuits and will examine your case thoroughly to determine if you have a legal right to be compensation for your damages.

Lawsuits involving ingestion of button batteries are expert intensive and demand both product and medical professionals provide input and testimony supporting claims of a product defect. The San Diego law office of Buche & Associates provides aggressive representation for parents of children who have suffered serious injury from swallowing a button battery. In addition to gathering evidence, witnesses and medical documentation essential for winning your case, our attorneys will compassionately address your situation and advocate to for compensation necessary to cover present and future medical treatment for your injured child.

Call Buche & Associates today at 858-459-9111 to schedule a consultation appointment.

What our Clients have to say...

  • I reached out to Buche and Associates via email for help with a music industry contract. John responded to my email the next day giving me assurance and a thumbs up on my existing contract - NC. I appreciated the rapid, honest, and professional response! I'm very happy to have found this law firm.

    , Button Battery Ingestion / Swallow
    Stefan Depner
    11/05/2019

    All the attorneys that did work for me at Buche and Associates were extremely knowledgeable and got the work done quickly and efficiently. I've always felt they've had my best interests and given me sound advice that has paid off. I highly recommend Buche and Associates for your legal needs.

    , Button Battery Ingestion / Swallow
    Josh Wickman
    10/30/2019

    Highly recommend. Professional, responsive and great to work with. Backed me up 100% in the face of a ridiculous lawsuit.

    , Button Battery Ingestion / Swallow
    sdavis5125 .
    8/03/2019
  • Great... They helped me straighten out a patent 10 years ago and now I'm reaping the rewards. Thx John

    , Button Battery Ingestion / Swallow
    FlagPole Buddy
    2/14/2019

    Great... They helped me straighten out a patent 10 years ago and now I'm reaping the rewards. Thx John

    , Button Battery Ingestion / Swallow
    FlagPole Buddy
    2/14/2019

    John and his team have been fantastic to work with. They are always responsive, professional and very knowledgeable. Highly recommended.

    , Button Battery Ingestion / Swallow
    Mark Leone
    2/09/2018

REQUEST AN APPOINTMENT

858-459-9111

Please feel free to contact Buche & Associates, P.C. to arrange for your initial consultation in person or by telephone.